The American, a quarterfinalist at last year’s tournament, had been ill and tested positive for the virus in November but returned another positive test earlier this week while feeling “totally healthy.”
In a post retweeted by Tiley, the Australian Open said Sandgren had been cleared to fly by the relative health authorities.
Lisa Neville, Australia’s Minister for Police and Emergency Services, confirmed on Twitter that Sandgren’s positive result had been reviewed by health experts and “determined to be viral shedding from a previous infection, so was given the all clear to fly.”
It comes as three-time grand slam champion Andy Murray has tested positive for Covid-19, just days before he was due to fly to Melbourne.
Murray is currently isolating at his home in Surrey, England, and it’s unsure whether he’ll be granted permission to compete in next month’s event.
But 10 days is just a general guideline, with viral shedding able to continue for longer.
Following criticism on Twitter, the world No. 50 said: “There’s not a single documented case where I would be contagious at this point. Totally recovered!”
Over 1,000 players and coaches have started arriving for this year’s event, which has already been delayed by three weeks. The tournament is set to run from February 8-21.
Those playing in this year’s Australian Open must complete a two-week quarantine upon landing in the country.
Tournament organizers said players would also “undergo a more rigorous testing schedule than most returning travelers.”
CNN’s Christina Macfarlane and Aleks Klosok contributed to this report.